Friday, October 25, 2013

"The Silmarillion" By: J.R.R. Tolkien

Paperback, 442 pages
Originally Published 1977 by Allen & Unwin


SUMMARY: Before the rings of power were ever forged, there were the Silmarils; three gems that were so dazzling that an entire race was thrown into turmoil. The Silmarillion, a collection of  interconnected stories from the history and legends of Middle Earth, follows the havoc that these stones bring to elves and men. The creation of Middle Earth is explained, and the rise of Morgoth, the mentor of the later dark lord Sauron, is shown. Battles, wars, and love stories that do not always have very happy endings, abound on each page. The events that led to The Lord of the Rings, and are often mentioned briefly in the books, are collected in The Silmarillion

REVIEW: Reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien can require a lot patience. The layout of the book is a collection of stories written out like an actually history. Most books are written focusing on only a few a characters and their challenges. The Silmarillion has MANY characters and events going on. It's been rightly called a geek bible, because of how much thought and detail the author put in to make it feel like it could be real. He made up a complicated elvish language for Pete's sake. This format can be a turn off for some readers. It took me a little bit to get into it, but when I did, I really enjoyed myself. I've always liked legends, and being a fan of The Lord of the Rings, also by Tolkien, I was interested to learn more about elves and other creatures, and their history. I'm a very passionate reader, and by that I mean I will verbally shout at the book. There were plenty of frustrated conversations with certain characters here. I'm sure others sitting by in waiting rooms listening to my muttering under my breath about "Darn Elves", probably thought I was crazy. As a morbid lover of tragedy, I enjoyed the slow descent of kingdoms and the death of valiant characters, as much as I hated it. Yet there was also a balance of happiness that endured for some characters, but they had to earn it.

I recommend this to anyone who perhaps enjoyed reading The Lord of the Rings, or who likes tragic history like me, (a lover of the Henry the Eighth rhyme: "Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.").

I fear this was me a couple times reading about my favorite character dying...



1 comment:

  1. Ha! I've been dramatic like that a few times while reading too!! :)

    ReplyDelete